Search Blacklist

Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Experience at the KRU Conference 2013


My Experience at the KRU Conference 2013
This past January, I had the opportunity to travel to Tenafly, New Jersey to attend the KRU Conference 2013. This is an annual event put on by Master Ace Ramirez and his staff at KRU Training. When we arrived, I was immediately struck by how welcoming everyone was. I felt like I had known them my whole life. After our introductions, we didn’t waste any time getting on the mats.
On our first night, we participated in the regular classes offered at the gym. The instructors kept things very disciplined and structured. A great deal of thought had been put into everything from the way we began class with traditional bowing to the music selection playing throughout class. The energy level began high as we warmed up, then slowed down when instruction began, and gradually built up until our final round of pad sparring. By the end of the night, I was drenched in sweat and ready for the full event to begin.
The actual KRU Conference began the next day. It was the start of three long days of training with coaches and students from around the country. Master Ace broke down the entire curriculum into detailed pieces. We covered the ins and outs and whys of everything from footwork to pad sparring. I learned so many new details about techniques that I had thought I fully understood. The conference ended with an emotional awards ceremony from Master Ace. It was obvious just how much passion he has for the martial arts and how much he cares for his students, coaches, and instructors.
The biggest thing I took away from the KRU Conference was not the martial arts techniques but the strong bond among everyone. It’s more than just some organization you’re a part of; it’s a team and a family. The bond I have with everyone in the KRU organization, even though they are scattered across the country, is no different than the bond I share with everyone at Blacklist. And being part of that family and something bigger than myself is the reason why I love martial arts.


No comments: